9.19.2011

Let's Get Physical!~ Physical!~

I realize that I spend way too much time in front of a computer and sometimes hate the fact that we live in a digital age. My job consists of me staring at a computer screen for hours moving my mouse around and typing away responding to and composing emails. Lame-O! I sometimes wish I was a designer before the invention of a computer. Those designers were dope! Although it took forever to create something, they physically moved type around and mix paints, had to manipulate images by hand and compose their work by drawing. Nowadays, we manipulate images using Photoshop, we illustrate using Illustrator (moving pixels around) Even photography is all digital. Although the process was long and grueling there is something to be said about physically making something and creating a work of art.

Even with books, I'll be really sad if my kids grew up never having to buy a physical book and if they carry around an ipad or something of that sort where millions of books can be stored into one device. The smell of paper, the physical turning of the pages, the breaking of a spine, the texture of the cover and the pages will all be lost. Also, it would be impossible to have a pop-up book on a digital device! The bookshelves would not be filled with various shapes, colors, designs, and designs of spines, but made up of an ipad or a kindle! WAH!

I'm sure the generation before ours thought the same and never imagined music being digital. But there is also something to be said about having a record. To pull out a record, place a needle on an LP and having to switch sides to listen to the entire album through is so much more cumbersome than to click "NEXT" with a mouse. But there is a beauty in a record that I can't really explain that is so nice!

I also thought about going to the gym. We are getting physical excercise by simulating what one would do if our work and labor was actually physical. Like if I was a farmer, I would proabably be doing alot of heavy lifting I just hope all of this is not lost in the future. Let's get Physical! Physical!~

No comments: