2.12.2012

My Commute and Internet

So lately I've been driving out to Santa Monica from my home and it's 2 hours each way! Eek!

I spend the time listening to music, dancing, doing body motions, pondering about life, most of the times hating life that I'm stuck in traffic! I make myself a music mix to pass the time that are usually super random. In the past I've made mixes with To Live and Die in LA by Tupac and the next song be a praise song. I don't do that anymore, it's just odd. I also used to take photos of interesting license plates. I stopped doing that too since it's really kind of dangerous switching multiple lanes in traffic and trying to get behind a car and pulling out my phone to take a picture of it. One of my co-workers was friendly enough and sympathized with my commute that he made me a CD with The Moth podcasts. If you don't know The Moth are true stories told live and some of them are really interesting.

But that got me thinking... I can make myself audio sermons to listen to on my commute! As I was searching through what sort of sermons I could put on my mix, I came across desiringgod.org and found sermons on Work & Vocation! What better way to go into work than listening to a sermon about WORK! But as I was doing this... the thought came into my mind, "The internet is awesome" We really have access to so many great resources and articles you can read on the Christian faith. If you wanna know about something... look it up on Google! If you want recommendations on books... look it up on Google, then buy it on Amazon! I was just so surprised that I was able to get these audio sermons so easily. If it wasn't for the internet I would have to go out and buy it. Granted, the internet can be used for just as much bad as it can be used for good. There's definitely alot more junk out there than good stuff since anybody can post anything about anything (like this entry). But internet in and of itself I don't think is a bad thing. It's what we do with it and what we use it for that makes it bad or good. We can save that discussion for another blog entry.

But back to my commute story, I'm now thinking about audio books. I know it's not the same as reading... But really I think the amount of time I spend in traffic I can probably get through the entire Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings series in a month.

Ok! Ok! Enough babble for one night.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

the Bible app on my phone reads to me...... hahaha i tried that our for the first time today!

jonathan park said...

whaaa? what app is that?